Managing and Motivating Remote Teams
20 Jun 2015
The concept of remote teams even didn’t existed few years back and people physically needed to be in one place in order to work together. As the world progressed further remote working came in to existence and gained succession rapidly. The idea is fully appreciated and widely used for managing major businesses and other jobs.
But with the virtual concept of businesses, there come some serious risks like mismanagement of business and unmotivated employees. Keeping the balance in such situations is what makes remote businesses successful. In today’s world it is most important to keep a proper management and motivation in employees because virtual businesses are one of the most victorious ways to earn a handsome income without investing too much of both time and money.
The perks of remote working are totally uncountable because many of us today are somehow part of this beneficially growing network as our colleagues live in different time zones, speak different languages and are part of different cultures. Despite of all the pros, management of such dispersed teams are difficult for even most experienced leaders and many different sorts of problems arise. Such problems must be handled carefully in order to keep the teams motivated and businesses successful.
Given below are a few tips to handle the problems and to keep the employees motivated:
1. Create strong team dynamics
Whether hiring a new team or incorporating workers in to existing system a good leader needs to understand the team dynamics. Keeping team harmony might be a difficult thing in the same workspace but it gets totally uncontrollable in case of remote teams. The workers might be unhappy and the owner might not be able to see it in virtual employment case, therefore it is important to create strong team dynamics and identify instantly if any member of the team looks disinterested, following are the few signs to understand if any of the team member is losing motivation:
- Compact output
- Abrupt communication
- Unenthusiastic about participating in conferences, meetings
- Lack of creativity and innovative ideas
2. Provide timely feedback and rewards
Providing timely feedback and rewards is one of the most important ways to keep the remote teams motivated and enthusiastic, and one needs to understand how to do so and when to do so. Try the following tips in order to comprehend it:
- Keep in touch with your team: Staying in contact means getting in touch with each team member every now and then and asking them about issues or problems have a positive effect on the performance of team members and they feel like that the work is worth doing. You must find appropriate ways to do so, schedule a telephone call, or use a more formal process of email.
- Provide fair and consistent feedback: In a sensitive case of giving feedback to the virtual team members, it is very imperative to be just and fair, you must know when to appreciate and who to appreciate. Team members need to feel that they are getting the equal treatment without any favoritism and biasness. The boss might also need to take out extra time for individual calls with remote workers, also the more alone employees might need more appreciation and control.
- Make sure that rewards are fairly equal: Rewards are very important in driving the enthusiasm of the employees and the owner needs to make sure that every team member gets the reward he/she deserves and it is fairly equal, so no one feels low and everyone tries hard to achieve it.
3. Promote team bonding
It is very imperative that team members feel connected to each other and the bond is developed so that the same passion runs between each one of them. To do so following tips might help you:
- Develop a team forum: This might incorporate a team page or forum.
- Create a virtual team platform: It is a non formal way of getting together.
- Make use of web cameras: It is the easiest and cheapest way to meet each other virtually.
- Be careful about language and culture barriers: Make sure that team members respect culture and language barriers and respect each other.
4. Provide time to time training and encouragement
Reinforcement is very important in virtual teams. Arrange special coaching sessions and provide the needed encouragement along with the timely appreciation. Training is essential tool and so is encouragement therefore the manager must handle it in a balanced way.